Monday, January 28, 2008

The Australian Open Fortnight



The Australian Open of tennis ended yesterday with a bang. The tennis world is brought to a stop for two weeks as everyone would be watching all the drama that would unfold (i'm talking about men's and women's singles).

I did have my bets as to who will emerge winners at the end of the Open. I had Justine Henin and Roger Federer as my bets. However, none of the have won the title!

Instead, Maria Sharapova and Novak Djokovic emerged as winners in this year's edition. Maria Sharapova would not be so much of a surprise since she has won Wimbledon and the US Open before. But for Novak Djokovic, I was just both surprised and happy! I even mentioned on an earlier blog post that he would be a legitimate threat on this year's Australian Open. And he certainly is! He defeated Federer in straight sets in the semis!

As for the others, I was impressed with how Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Daniela Hantuchova fared. Tsonga, obviously, is the surprise of this year's competition. The Muhammad Ali look-alike certainly has built an electrifying name for himself.

And Hantuchova, congartulations for making it to the semis! I have been secretly rooting for you since 2005 when I began to miss your name in the upper ranks of the women's rankings!

And as for the beaten female finalist Anna Ivanovic, you're starting to impress me. Although I still feel that Anna is not yet that powerful compared to her compatriot Jelena Jankovic.

That's it!

Enjoy!

0 Responses to “The Australian Open Fortnight”

All Rights Reserved The Comfort Rooms | Blogger Template by Suverve