Monday, November 9, 2009
Do you like this story?
The Balut. The ultimate in Filipino delicacy. The end-all and be-all of all Pinoy street foods. The cheapest aphrodisiac. The king of all late-night snacks. The one test that would end all tests of one's manhood.
Pinoy food will not be Pinoy food without the Balut. Fear Factor will lose testosterone (it ever had?) without Balut. Kanto food will not be kanto food without the Balut. Pinoy late nights will never be the same without the Balut.
Obviously, I'm paying homage to this tasty yet weird treat. It was love at first sip (of the broth) for me. Our yaya and driver offered me balut while waiting for my dad one Sunday night some 18 years ago at the airport after yet another off-island meeting. Since then, I became a part of the balut-loving people of our society. Lines have been drawn as to whether you belong to the balut-eating human family or not. Whether you are the balut-spitter or the balut-swallower. Spit or swallow. What was I saying?
To all you balut haters, here's what I got to say:
1. You are among the people who would control your fart until your butt ended up swallowing its own gas.
2. You try to speak english as Americanized as possible but still pronuncing everything as everytheeeeeng.
3. You take glutathione pills.
4. You bathe with papaya soap.
5. You put Ching-Chan Su on your face.
6. You have blue contact lenses on your eyes. Where else?
7. You listen to Cueshe.
8. You listen to 6 Cycle Mind.
9. You have a crush on Rico Blanco.
10. You suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Balut For President!
This post was written by: Jerick Baluyot
Jerick Baluyot is a professional blogger, writer and digital marketing specialist. Follow him on Twitter