Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Rant Of The Day

If you are a Filipino like me, you must be very familiar with the topic that I will be writing right now. I was actually thinking of more socially-relevant topics (like The Laguna Copperplate Inscription) but writing about this rant seems easier for me to accomplish. I wish not to offend anyone as I thought I was offending some people during my last few posts (as a part of my pledge to write better stuff here).

Conyos and Jologs. That's my topic for tonight (I mean, this early morning). Basically, if you are cultured, you are a conyo. But if you are uncivilized, you are jologs. In the Philippines, this has always been directly proportioned to one's economic status, the higher it is the more esteemed you are and the lower you get means the lesser dubs (or money) you have.

Since Filipino society dictates that conyos are better, most would aspire to be one. We may admit it or not, but everyone must have had this feeling. That is why most of us would like to elevate ourselves to gain more respect, significance, importance and self-worth.

However, this may or will lead to people becoming untrue to their backgrounds. It will be almost as if some of us become ashamed of where we come from and stuff like that. Which is not good. I have always championed the fact that all Filipinos have that jologs factor in them which makes them very much in tune with their Filipino heritage. For example, Dolphy is jologs. Or, the jeepney is jologs. Or dirty ice cream and turon are jologs. It is not self-devaluing, but staying true to one's own culture.

In my opinion, being a Filipino is actually jologs. The word jologs encompasses more than being a socio-economic class. It is your being a Filipino. Nakuha ba?

So the next time a jeepney-riding public high school graduate would tell me that he doesn't know a thing about pinoy showbiz, I'm gonna say, "Asus! Pa-conyo ka pa diyan!" with a disbelieving face.

The moral of the story, don't be afraid to be jologs! It is actually your being a Filipino!

6 Responses to “Rant Of The Day”

pusangkalye said...
April 30, 2009 at 12:22 AM

I totally get what you are saying---as if---for some people, saying that they dont watch Filipino movies would qualify them to another nationality--nah----

weird, but I kinda agree with you.


Jerick said...
April 30, 2009 at 12:25 AM

thanks for being on the same page with me!


wanderingcommuter said...
April 30, 2009 at 9:36 PM

come to think of it, i never wanted to be conyo. infact, i am proud to say that i know by heart an entire jolina magdangal album, if you would consider her jologs? hahahaha


Jerick said...
April 30, 2009 at 9:50 PM

oo naman. jolina is jologs with the capital J! :)


Jake said...
May 1, 2009 at 9:53 PM

Hah! I refuse to be branded a jologs.

It doesn't speak of what I am.

In case you need a re-affirmation, I'm true-blue, honest-to-goodness, genuine, authentic and indubitably, a SUSHAL...




...as in "SUSHAL-CLIMBER"! Haha.


Jerick said...
May 1, 2009 at 11:14 PM

got it jake!

hahahahahahha!


All Rights Reserved The Comfort Rooms | Blogger Template by Suverve