Sunday, June 12, 2011
Do you like this story?
It's sad cos as I see it, Filipino Nationalism in the 21st century has almost always been limited to Pacquiao fights, Charice's Glee appearances, Fil-ams in Hollywood, and the Azkals. Other than that, it's all been complaints on how corrupt the officials are, to how undisciplined the citizens are, to how dirty the streets are, and just every other complaint that could be complained by the Filipinos.
But guys, whether you're a local or has adopted new citizenships, you are Filipino. It is who we are and it is who I am. No matter how less we know about Filipino showbiz, we're still Filipinos. You may have been raised and (potty) trained to speak only English but *reality check* you are Filipino. And because of that, I will list down the top five things that scream that I am indeed a Filipino.
1. My last name. Baluyot, I think, is a surname originating from Pampanga. Although this is just an adopted surname from my paternal forebears from China, I will always be proud of the Filipino imprint that surname has.
2. Dirty ice cream and monay. I only get to eat one probably once every 2 years but whenever I get the chance, I grab hold for that chance like dear life!
3. Daily showers. I know I am guilty to not always showering everyday (cos I don't sweat!) but as a Filipino, I had to be clean all the time, especially after getting some sweat. I can shower more than twice in a day when needed!
4. The feeling that I was cheated whenever I lose. This is just my theory but you know how we Filipinos, especially after losing, felt that we were always cheated our way to our loss? Yup, I have that! Haha!
5. My citizenship. I can't see myself leaving the country in at least the next ten years and then change my citizenship. No, I still have hopes of a better life in this country so I'm still confident about the country's capability to make my life great here.
Happy Independence Day Philippines!
This post was written by: Jerick Baluyot
Jerick Baluyot is a professional blogger, writer and digital marketing specialist. Follow him on Twitter